Eligible medical, dental and vision expenses for FSA and HSA participants.
To get reimbursed for a medical expense, the IRS requires that it is:
- For the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease and for treatments affecting any part or function of the body
- Primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness
Expenses NOT generally eligible are those:
- Solely for cosmetic reasons
- Merely beneficial to one’s general health (for example, health spas)
Helpful hints for a smooth reimbursement:
- Look for pharmacies and drug stores that have the Inventory Information Approval System (IIAS) or meet the IRS’ 90% rule. Download the most recent list
- Hang on to receipts in case you are later asked for verification of the purchase.
FSA and HSA Eligible Expenses
The link below shows which items are/are not reimbursable with standard FSAs or HSAs. You can find your employer’s specific plan by logging into your account.
For details on common expenses and their eligibility click here.