How to Learn More From Your HSA Investments
April 9, 2019
The Health Savings Account (HSA) has emerged as a valuable investment tool, especially when it comes to retirement planning. That’s because, among other reasons, healthcare costs are a primary driver of your retirement expenses, and you can withdraw HSA funds tax-free at any time to pay for eligible expenses.
Our enhanced HSA investment experience makes it even easier to grow your funds and get comfortable with the investment process, since 61 percent of adults say investing is “scary or intimidating.” Within your online account with Discovery Benefits, there are a number of tools and resources to help you learn more and make the most of your investments.
Review Portfolio Performance
You can see how your investments are performing at any time. Under the “Porfolio Performance” menu, you can use drop-down menus to filter your investment performance. The primary filters are:
- Period Returns: View your rates of return on all of your investments or on individual funds for a multitude of available date ranges (last quarter, last year, custom, etc.) so you can easily compare them against each other.
- Contributions vs. Market Value: View a chart that shows your contributions and how they compare against their market value on any date or for any range of dates.
- Personal Rate of Return: View a chart that shows your rate of return for any date range you choose. There’s a note in this menu that explains how your personal rate of return is calculated.
You can also filter to view specific fund performance or sort by asset classes.
Use Our Educational Tools and Resources
Knowing more about your HSA investments will empower you and give you peace of mind to make the best decisions. That’s why we make a number of educational tools available. Within our “Education” tab, you can access:
- Fund Performance: View a complete list of available funds, which includes each fund’s fact sheet and prospectus. A fact sheet shows a fund’s characteristics, fee summary and its results over the last 10 years. A prospectus contains additional key information, including the fund’s goal and its principal risks.
- Guidance Tool: Revamp your investment strategy with the guidance tool’s strategy builder, where you can input information about yourself and your needs to develop an action plan. You can also find answers to common HSA questions and a glossary of investment terms.
- FAQ: Download a PDF for answers on common investment questions.
Manage Your Specific Funds
Whether you’re feeling confident in staying the course with your investments or you’re interested in developing a new strategy, you can review and update your fund allocation whenever you need to within the “Manage Investments” tab. You can also decide whether to change where your money is invested in, where to invest future funds or both. Plus, you have the option of using our guidance tool to help you with these decisions.
Would you like to learn more about the HSA investment experience? Watch our video.
Please note: Discovery Benefits cannot provide investment advice and encourages its participants to seek guidance from a financial adviser for help with investment decisions.